Tuesday 1 March 2011

st ives palette

one of the things i don't like about blogger is that its such a bloomin faff to get pictures in the order that you want them (aaargghh). I've just tried dragging this lot around and its taking forevever so here they are in the wrong order. now that little rant is over...what i wanted to say is...
one of the things i like about blogging (says she who hasn't been around here much for decades)
is the distance it gives you from your artwork, a chance to record and look again with a slightly altered eye or perspective.
i've always known that i love st ives in cornwall. it's a special place for me and one of the things i love about it is the colour. the light is special in st ives and i just love the colours of the sea, the sky, the white washed houses, the cobbled streets, the weathered boats and the rugged rocks.


i didn't realise how much this had seeped into my bones until i took these photos for this blog.


in response to a recent post
helen commented that my painting reminded her of rusty boats by the sea which put a happy smile (thanks helen) on my face because i luuurrrrve rusty boats by the sea.

i didn't realise as i was painting these (unfinished as usual) canvases that they remind me of st ives...all chalky and weathered


I'm sure there's some boat shapes in there too

perhaps even a harbour wall
but this is the picture (above) that most surprised me its like i subconsciously painted the rocks the sky and the sea in my sketchbook. Even the potato print when i stamped it twice on the page came out as the cornish flag (the cornish flag is the coolist ever..a white cross on a black background). st ives must be calling me.
the final hidden message came when i checked the photos i'd taken - on top of a sketchbook i bought in st ives last year.

ahhhh if only it wasn't so far away and so expensive to stay there...house swap for the summer anyone?



10 comments:

makiko hastings said...

I LOVE watching how your paintings are coming out in process and its details. Yes, I agree with you about blogging that allow you to record and look back again in a different view, even though I haven't been there that long. As a viewer, coming to your site is becoming an addiction, which is another good reason of blogging, too! xm

Helen Smith said...

I love these - I love chalky and weathered too! It may not be as pretty - or as sunny - as St Ives round where I live but I love the wide open sky you get from being on the edge of the land.

Moving pictures - I go into the 'edit html' bit and then it's easy just to cut and paste the chunks of code for the photos into the right places. You don't need to know what it all does!

Lynda Howells said...

Love your workx Over 18months ago my husband, Tony. and l were hoping to move to St.Ives...LOVE the place. Due to lots of problems we are now not moving there..very sad but love seeing though your eyes.xlynda

http://tryingtocreatearteveryday.blogspot.com
and
htt://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com

Karin Bartimole said...

well, the order may not have been to your liking, but your beautiful images flowed for me. I've never been to st ives, but if your images stir the essence of the place, I'd like to go :) really lovely...

Nellie and Neo said...

Hello :-) I am glad I made you smile, that makes me smile :-) I can definately see the sea and St Ives in your artwork. I love St Ives too and was stunned how green and crystal clear the harbour was when I visited. xHelen

Whitney-Anne Baker said...

the light really is that good in St Ives isn't it? So interesting to see what comes out of the work later. About blogger and pictures. Are you loading them up from picasa? You can put them in the order you want in picasa and then upload them.

Parabolic Muse said...

Wow, I love all these images. This series is so textury and makes me feel the sea, the shore and eveyrthing organic and fresh.

I love the Publishers Patchwork in the next post, too. Wouldn't that be fabulous on every wall in the family room...

Unknown said...

Great blog! I found you through Leovi.. Please come check out my blog as well I started a new one about Art!

elena nuez said...

I love your artworks!!!
you're so talented, congrats and greetings from Spain

elena

WrightStuff said...

I'm seeing more and more examples of this subconscious painting - it was all there somewhere. I too adore St Ives - I would add into your description a few extra ingredients - the cries of the seagulls and the smell of fish! Don't you just love that whole art vibe there. I spent so much time chatting to artists and 'filling the well' last time I was there.